Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Missing her

It's Miss Venezuela season. By far the most important competitive event of the year here. I'd like to see a survey of how many people can name three contenders for Miss Venezuela, how many can name three gubernatorial candidates and how many can name three of the top batters in the Venezuelan baseball league. I am guessing that the Miss would strut away with it.

I saw a woman tonight with a big gauze pack on top of her nose. Just hanging out, chatting with the doorman at a midrange hotel, meaning that a night costs only about 10 days' earnings for the average Venezuelan, rather than a full month's wages like at the fancy hotel up the block. It reminded me that it's been a while since I saw a nose job bandage. One day I saw three of them on a single walk through the mall.

I got home and there were teenagers practicing dance moves in the lobby of my building. One was giving her bust a hard look in the mirror. It was large, probably fake, and likely quite uncomfortable.

Tis the season.

No comments: